Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for students about Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps
- What is Los Rios Gmail?
– Los Rios has partnered with Google to provide Los Rios students with a free email account: (W+student ID@apps.losrios.edu). When you log into your account, Los Rios first authenticates your username and password and then sends you to Google to view your Los Rios email. NOTE: New students who apply on or after November 2, 2020 will receive all college and district communication the the email address provided on their CCCApply application. This email address is the default preferred email. If you were a Los Rios student prior to November 2, 2020, then your default preferred email is your Los Rios Gmail account. You can change your preferred email address to something other than your Los Rios Gmail.
- Why do I need a Los Rios Gmail Account?
– You will need a Los Rios Gmail account for Canvas, the District’s learning management system, as well as other vital student services including telehealth.
- When can I start using Los Rios Gmail?
– New Students: Los Rios Gmail and Google App accounts for new students are created when they submit their college application and it is successfully processed for any one of the Los Rios colleges. Limited access to Los Rios Gmail will be available to students once they receive their student identification number and password. Students will have full access to Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps once they are officially enrolled in and have paid for classes. Los Rios Gmail is available here: https://sso.losrios.edu.Returning Students: Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps accounts will be removed for students who have not had enrollment activity for over 2 years. Once a returning student submits a new application, their Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps account will be recreated and they will have limited access. Students will have full access to Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps once they are officially enrolled in and have paid for classes.
- How do I log into Los Rios Gmail?
– Go to the URL: https://sso.losrios.eduTo log in, use your Los Rios Username (W + your 7 digit Student ID#) and your unified password.
- What is my Los Rios Gmail address going to be?
– Your Los Rios Gmail address will be (W + your 7 digit Student ID #), followed by the @apps.losrios.edu domain name. For example: W9999999@apps.losrios.edu.
- How does my existing Gmail account impact my Los Rios Gmail account?
– Los Rios Gmail is a separate account that allows you to send and receive email using the losrios.edu address. If you have your own Gmail account outside of Los Rios, it will NOT impact your Los Rios Gmail account as they are two different accounts.
- Can I use my mobile device (smartphone) to view my Los Rios Gmail?
– Yes! You can access your Los Rios Gmail through the My LosRios App.
A. Start by downloading the mobile app MyLosRios on your iOS or Android device. The App also features eServices functionality and allows you to access your message center, receive notifications and review your class schedule right from your smartphone.
B. Open the MyLosrRios App and select the Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps icon on the start screen.
Login to the App and select the three line icon menu (top left) and then the Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps icon under the “PUBLIC MENU” label.
C. Click here for a list of functions available on the App.
Google Play is disabled for Los Rios Gmail. Use an account other than your Los Rios Gmail for Android downloads.OR
Use your smartphone’s internet browser and log on to https://sso.losrios.edu to access your email.
Forward your Los Rios Gmail to your personal email account to view on your smartphone. (See question #10).
- How do I change my Los Rios Gmail name?
– You cannot change your ‘display’ name, but you can change your ‘reply’ name which is displayed when sending an email. Begin by logging into your Los Rios Gmail. Click on the settings icon and select Settings. Under Settings, there are option links across the top. Click on Accounts. Under Accounts you will see a section ‘Send mail as:’ click on the ‘Edit Info’ link. There is a radio button by Name where you can enter the name you would like to appear when you send emails. Your updated name will appear in the From box followed by <W+student email@example.com>
- Los Rios Gmail is on Google, does Google share my personal information with outside organizations?-
– No. Google is committed to upholding the privacy of your personal information. There is a contractual obligation in place for Google to strictly respect the privacy of Los Rios students and employees. Google also will not use information in the apps.losrios.edu apps to inform their advertising if Los Rios employees and students use other Google apps.Google has agreed that students’ data is subject to “The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).” This is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Google has agreed to comply with its obligations under FERPA.
- How do I forward my Los Rios Gmail to my personal account?
– Begin by logging into Los Rios Gmail and selecting Email. Once in email, on the top right, there is an icon for Settings – select Settings.
NOTE: Be sure to follow the instructions all the way to the end and then test it.
- I have special characters (for example: !, @, #, $, % ) in my password, and I have trouble logging in, what should I do?-
– We have had reports that users with special characters in their passwords experience problems logging into their Los Rios Gmail. If your password contains any characters that require you to hold the shift key and press a number at the top of the keyboard, you may have problems logging in. For Example – !, @, #, $, % – Any of these characters have prevented users from logging into Los Rios Gmail. If your password contains any of these characters, please consider changing your password to only contain uppercase, lowercase, and number(s). To change your password click on Password Help, at the top of this page.
- I just submitted an application and have not received an email from Los Rios – where is it?
– Check your Spam or Junk folder. If you find your “Welcome to Los Rios” email in Spam, change the settings on your personal email account (either the Spam or Junk email settings) to accept emails from “@apps.losrios.edu”. (This is sometimes called the “Allowed Senders” or “Safe Senders” list.)How do I email my professor from Los Rios Gmail?
– When composing an email in Los Rios Gmail, begin typing your instructor’s name (either their first or last name) in the To box. You will see a list of similar names to select from. To ensure you select the correct name, select the instructor’s first and last name.
- Will employees of Los Rios District have a Los Rios Gmail account?
As an employee of Los Rios, you have a Los Rios Gmail account activated by default when your account was created. Any emails sent to your Los Rios Gmail account will be forwarded to your official exchange mail box. This is controlled, and can be changed from inside your LR Gmail account ( Options (sprocket) -> Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP ).
- What file types are blocked by Los Rios Gmail?
As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail doesn’t allow you to send or receive executable files (such as files ending in .exe). Executable files can contain harmful code that might cause malicious software to download to your computer. In addition, Gmail doesn’t allow you to send or receive corrupted files, files that don’t work properly.You can’t send or receive the following file types:.ade, .adp, .bat, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .exe, .hta, .ins, .isp, .jse, .lib, .mde, .msc, .msp, .mst, .pif, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf, .wshMessages containing executable file types will be bounced back and returned to the sender automatically. Gmail won’t accept these file types even if they’re sent in a zipped format. Here are some examples of zipped formats:.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz, .rar
- I’m not receiving email – where is it?
– If you are not receiving Los Rios email, check the following:
A. Are you expecting Los Rios Gmail to be forwarded to your personal email account? Validate you have set up mail forwarding correctly by logging into your Los Rios Gmail account (Login ID = W + Student ID) at http://sso.losrios.edu. See #10 above for instructions on forwarding email.
B. Check your Spam or Junk folder. If you find Los Rios email in Spam, change the settings on your personal email account (either the Spam or Junk email settings) to accept emails from “@apps.losrios.edu”. (This is sometimes called the “Allowed Senders” or “Safe Senders” list.)
- I do not want to use Los Rios Gmail, do I have to?
– While you can use a personal email address as your preferred email account for college and district communications, you will need your Los Rios Gmail account for the Canvas learning management system as well as other resources/services.
- I cannot access Google Play?
– Google Play is disabled for Los Rios Google Apps. If you wish to access Google Play content, you will need to use an account other than your Los Rios Google Apps account.
- How long will my Los Rios Gmail account exist after I’m no longer a student?
– You will have limited access in Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps after one year of non-enrollment. Your Los Rios Gmail account will be removed after two years (2 years) of non-enrollment. This time starts after your last enrollment. Note: Please move any important data from your Los Rios Gmail account before the two years is complete. Once your Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps account is deleted, neither Los Rios or Google can retrieve any of your data. There’s no copies of it available.
If you need further assistance please submit a Los Rios Gmail Support Request.